Fire Priority Dispatch System (FPDS)
"The FPDS, with its intensive training courses, allows us to send the appropriate response to every call."- Battalion Chief Kriss Garcia
SALT LAKE CITY FIRE DEPT.
With the Fire Priority Dispatch System (FPDS) you’ll enjoy all the benefits and safety features of a unified fire protocol system combined with the latest in caller interrogation and response prioritization. You’ll also be backed by 35 years of protocol writing experience from the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch.
This product combines the latest technology in systematic call interrogation with the ability to logically prioritize responses and provide life-saving Pre-Arrival Instructions. Using this foundation, the Fire Protocol protects against liability while increasing call-processing effectiveness and assures measurable standards of care and quality improvement. Without the Fire Protocol ... well, it’s anybody’s guess.
Features of the FPDS include:
- Use of a Case Entry system: The protocol provides a standardized method for answering each call in the same manner while identifying the fire Chief Complaint and its related scene-safety issues. This system also provides for immediate dispatch in life-threatening situations including a recent addition of Caller in danger - not trapped instructions to provide the caller with safety precautions once outside a structure fire.
- Identification and ordering of Key Questions: The protocol identifies the necessary questions for each fire Chief Complaint (v6.0 has 26) and logically orders them for safety and effectiveness. Three new Chief Complaints include Motor Vehicle Collision, Suspicious Package (Letter, Item), and Bomb Threat.
- Logic-based selection of Response Determinants: The protocol selects a response code based on the information provided by the caller. These codes help the agency to match the response to the incident so that agencies can appropriately conserve resources when safe to do so. In v6.0, determinant suffixes to delineate response and safety in fuel spills now exist.
- Provides Pre-Arrival Instructions for life-threatening situations: Based on the information provided by the caller, the protocol can recognize specific, life-threatening situations. It then facilitates a Zero-Minute Response to these situations by providing easy to follow, step-by-step Pre-Arrival Instructions to the caller or victim.
- Provides Post-Dispatch Instructions for callers: Using the information provided by the caller, these important instructions help the dispatcher direct the caller or victim to improve scene safety and the effectiveness of the overall response. In v6.0, the Water Rescue PDI was expanded to include flooding that results in structural collapse or passengers in vehicles trapped by rising water. Protocol 61: HAZMAT now includes instructions for chemical suicide.
BENEFITS OF THE FPDS INCLUDE:
- ESTABLISHMENT OF A UNIFIED STANDARD helps ensure that each caller receives comparable levels of service regardless of the fire Chief Complaint or calltaker. A unified standard also facilitates quality improvement procedures since each dispatcher’s performance is evaluated with the same measure.
- SAFE PRIORITIZATION OF RESPONSES enables agencies to match the response configuration to the seriousness of the incident. This process maximizes resource utility while minimizing the potential for Emergency Fire Vehicle Collisions and system depletion.
- CERTIFICATION OF EMERGENCY FIRE DISPATCHERS (EFDs) builds confidence in the community and efficiency in the communication center. Appropriate training always provides the highest level of return when using the FPDS.
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROCEDURES measure individual performance against a known standard. These procedures maintain a high standard of service across caller, calltaker, and fire Chief Complaint variables.
- REDUCTION OF LIABILITY results when agencies work from a recognized standard of practice, prioritize responses, certify users, and provide quality improvement. The FPDS provides the most complete package in liability protection for fire dispatch.
- ACCREDITATION is a reward and tribute to the hard work Emergency Fire Dispatchers provide to both the agency and their community. Communication center agencies that demonstrate on-going quality improvement and excellence in the use of the FPDS may apply to the International Academy of Emergency Fire Dispatch for recognition as an accredited center.
Find out more about PDC Core Products
See the FPDS in action dispatching live calls in our online streaming demonstration of fire ProQA software. You will also find more information about all of our newly updated fire products such as: quality assurance software, training, consulting, and support products.