ETC-I Certification Course Will Help You:
- Improve personal training skills and abilities
- Become familiar with ETC course content
- Understand ETC course standards
- Recognize how to incorporate local policies
- Learn International Academies of Emergency Dispatch processes
- Gain certification for your students through IAED
Who Should Attend:
- Communication Center Trainers & Managers
- Community College Instructors
- Telecommunications Instructors
- Dispatch Supervisors
- International Academies of Emergency Dispatch membership
- Two year subscription to the Journal of Emergency Dispatch
- ETC Instructor Certification
- ETC Teaching Package
- Academy Presentation and Instructor Notes
About ETC-I Certification Training
ETC-I training through IAED will set you squarely on the path to providing excellent training for your ETC students. You will become familiar with the ETC course content, the certification test, best practices in adult education, the IAED's standards for teaching the ETC course, and helpful insights for incorporating local agency policies. You will participate in discussing proven techniques and developing a stockpile of ideas to use in future courses. To complete the course, you will teach a selected portion of the ETC course and receive helpful feedback from your fellow participants and ETC-I course instructor.
Prerequisite for ETC-I National Certification:
- Bring laptop to class
- Casual dress attire
- Current ETC Certification
AND one of the following:
- Current IAED-Certified Instructor
- Current APCO 40-Hour Basic Telecommunications Instructor
- Current In-house Communication Center Trainer
- Current community college instructor of basic telecommunications or relevant public safety field
Overview of the ETC-I course, identify the expectations of participants, and describe the participants' responsibilities. Become familiar with the dynamics related to preparing, presenting, and concluding an effective ETC course.
Course Materials: Getting the Most from the Goods
Become familiar with the ETC course materials including the Student Manual, the Instructor Manual, the IAED Course Presentation, and the IAED Instructor Notes. Gain confidence in using the materials by discussing how successful instructors will use each resource to its fullest and in agreement with each of the other resources.
Adult Education: The Secrets that Add Vitality and Variety
Review the challenges and principles associated with training adults. Discuss innovative ways of applying these principles in your own ETC courses. Identify appropriate techniques for answering the tough questions and managing difficult students.
Incorporating Local Policy: Linking the General to the Specific
Recognize the training requirements for the ETC course relative to Project 33 standards. Discuss where and how to detail course content to incorporate local policies. Discuss how to address local policies when students come from multiple centers. Identify ways to keep the material hands-on and applicable to local agencies.
ETC Course Overview
Review the chapter slides for the ETC course in conjunction with each chapter's time requirement. Discuss ways to enhance the material when appropriate. Receive practical guidance from your instructor and your peers for any perceived challenges involving local implementation. Discuss how to deliver the course in a mentoring setting.
Develop and present an effective lesson from a pre-selected portion of the course. Receive feedback from your instructor and your peers. Gain helpful ideas to improve your own course delivery and teaching style.
Discuss specific behaviors that may jeopardize ETC Instructor Certification with the IAED. Review the participants' expectations and answer any final questions. Complete course evaluations.